things to do
May 7, 2022 by Brian Champlin
Mother’s Day is on deck, but there’s plenty going for Saturday too.
Below you’ll find our top three picks for today (May 7) in Los Angeles, followed by a bullet list of seven other quick ideas to consider. Whatever you end up doing, enjoy your day!
Things To Do For Saturday
1st Valley Asian Cultural Festival -> To celebrate Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month, the West Valley – Warner Center Chamber of Commerce is hosting a first-ever Asian Valley Cultural Festival this saturday at Pierce College in Woodland Hills. The event flyer promises food, music, dance, shopping, children’s activities, and more. Free admission. Runs 10 am to 4 pm More info here.
“Deep Routes” at Union Station -> Union Station hosts a special evening to celebrate dublab’s “Deep Routes” radio series, which was produced in partnership with Metro to document the intersection of music history and LA’s transit systems. The event includes live performances, DJ sets and special installations. Runs 4 to 8 pm Free to attend. More info here.
Score For Here Opening -> Clockshop will host an opening reception for Score for Here, a new site-specific sonic experience (aka, a free app you download on your phone) designed for LA State Historic Park, and created by artist Jimena Sarno. Park visitors can use the app to compose and record specially modified audio samples, with unique sound elements triggered as they move into different zones throughout the park. The opening event runs from 3 to 5 pm this Saturday. Free to attend. More info here.
Seven More Things To Do in LA Today
- Today in Westlake, Levitt LA and Cultiva LA team up for a garden block party and spring health fair featuring free music and food. The event is part of the month-long We Rise 2022 event series, which aims to reshape mental health treatment by promoting awareness and increasing community access to health and wellness resources.
- Mount Wilson Observatory welcomes a new traveling exhibit on the Hubble Space Telescope starting today.
- Free Comic Book Day is today, and both Revenge Of (Eagle Rock Blvd) and Golden Apple (Melrose Ave) will be hosting events to celebrate.
- Thinkspace Projects will host an opening reception tonight for two new solo shows, Sandra Chevrier’s Cages and the Shadow of the Colors and Troy Lovejoy’s would.
- It’s the opening weekend for the LA County Fair at Fairplex in Pomona.
- Today at 4 pm, the city will host a public celebration to mark the unveiling of the Historic Filipinotown Eastern Gateway at Beverly Boulevard and Belmont Avenue in Historic Filipinotown. The ribbon-cutting and lighting ceremony will also feature music and dance performances. Those interested in attending are urged to RSVP here.
- Street Food Cinema continues its 2022 season with a screening of Mamma Mia at LA State Historic Park.
Want to get the best things to do in LA sent straight to your inbox? Join over 60,000 Angelenos who subscribe to our twice weekly email newsletter!